SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA HOSPITAL AT CULVER CITY AMONG TOP 5% IN NATION FOR PATIENT SAFETY EXCELLENCE IN 2019
Southern California Hospital at Culver City received the 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades, putting the hospital in the top 5% in the nation among acute care hospitals for patient safety for the second year in a row. This is the fourth year the hospital has achieved this distinction (2015-16, 2018-2019).
The Patient Safety Excellence Award recognizes superior performance in hospitals that have prevented serious, potentially avoidable complications for patients during hospital stays. According to Healthgrades, if all hospitals achieved the average performance of award recipients for each of the Patient Safety Indicators, 127, 667 patient safety events could potentially have been avoided.
“At our hospital in Culver City, we are committed to providing our community with nationally recognized quality and safe care in their backyard,” said Michael Klepin, CEO of Southern California Hospitals. “Safety and quality go hand in hand, so we encourage patients to choose a hospital that excels at both.”
During the study period (2015 to 2017), Healthgrades 2019 Patient Safety Excellence Award-recipient hospitals demonstrated excellent performance in safety provided for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) for 14 patient safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, as compared to patients at non-recipient hospitals, on average*:
- 55.9% less likely to experience an accidental cut, puncture, perforation or hemorrhage during medical care.
- 50.9% less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest.
- 64.4% less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital.
- 57% less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital.
“We are proud to recognize the recipients of the 2019 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, which shines a spotlight on the hospitals that are preventing the occurrence of serious, potentially avoidable complications, for patients during their hospital stay,” said Healthgrades’ Brad Bowman, MD, chief medical officer. “We applaud these hospitals and their commitment to providing the best possible care for every patient.”
In addition to the 2019 Patient Safety Excellence award, Southern California Hospital at Culver City is a Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 17 Years in a Row (2003-2019)
- Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries 5 Years in a Row (2015-2019)
- Heart Attack and Heart Failure 5 Years in a Row (2015-2019)
- Pacemaker Procedures 2 Years in a Row (2018-2019)
To find a physician affiliated with Southern California Hospital at Culver City, click here.
View Healthgrades hospital quality methodologies.